Tile and Grout Care Tips
- Vacuum your floor frequently to remove loose dirt and dust.
- Apply Sir Grout Sir Grout's Natural Hard Surface Cleaner liberally to your tile and grout and let soak for 5 minutes... then mop as usual.
- Where soil is more concentrated or has accumulated, use cleaner undiluted. IMPORTANT: always dry with a towel or terry cloth to remove dirty water/cleaner residue that settles down into the concave grout lines. Otherwise, once the liquid residue evaporates, dirt will be left behind.
- Shower stalls and tub enclosures should be well-ventilated. Stagnant water breeds stain-causing mildew as well as other fungi. All vertical and horizontal joints/corners should be caulked with mildew-resistant caulk.
- We do not recommend using soap-based cleaners on tiles. They leave a film, dull the surface, and promote mildew.
- You should not use acid or ammonia-based cleaners because it could affect the color of the grout.
- Acid-based cleaners can cause etching and dull polished marble tiles. Do not use a vinegar and water mixture because vinegar is an acid.
- Do not use steel wool or other abrasives on tile or stone. These can scratch and dull the surface.
See What Others Are Saying About Us
Joseph H - Lynnwood, WAApril 09, 2021
Our showers both had started developing mold, and the counter grout was discolored. The workers were friendly and professional, and did a good job. We are very pleased to have our bathrooms looking so much better. They had us check out the work before they left to make sure we were satisfied. But later that day, I saw a small section where the grout was slightly pulled back from the wood edge. I called, and they came out quickly and fixed that for us the same day.
Keep a Watchful Eye
Settling and other everyday stresses in the building frame of your home may eventually cause tiles and grout joints to crack, split, or even become crushed. Cracks in wet areas (kitchen backsplashes, tub and shower joints) eventually lead to water damage. Water seeps under the tile and begins to rot the supporting wall or sub-floor. In extreme cases, a total tear-out and replacement is necessary. We often find that we need to re-caulk these areas to help keep your grout and tile properly sealed. Don't wait until it's too late and avoid expensive remodeling. Inspect your joints regularly and be on the lookout for mold and mildew.
What You Should Know About Restoring Ceramic Tile Grout
Sanded grout is a porous material and even under the best conditions will become soiled and stained. Sir Grout technicians eliminate this problem by "Color Sealing" your grout. Our sealer not only guarantees that you will have beautifully consistent colored grout but it will also help resist stains from food, drinks, and dirt.
Our cleaning and "ColorSealing" process restores your soiled grout lines to a beautiful "like new" appearance. It can protect new and old installations alike. In the long run, this process saves you time, money, and the effort of scrubbing your tile grout on your hands and knees.
Avoid expensive re-grouting . Let SIR GROUT restore your grout lines to "like new" condition.
- Is Color Seal hard to apply?
We always recommend our trained technicians for this type of work. It takes knowledge of what types of grout are sealable and, of course, takes plenty of patience and a steady hand.
- Can you match the existing color of my grout?
Yes. SIR GROUT has numerous Color Sealers for sanded type grout. You can have any color you wish. Even under the best conditions, grout (even new grout) has different shades. We simply match the color you desire to insure a consistent shade of grout color. Our Color Seal absorbs into the pores of your grout for a long lasting/uniform finish.
- What is the dry time?
You can walk on it in 10 to 12 minutes, however it takes 48 hours to fully cure. Keep sealed areas dry for 48 hours to ensure best results.
- How often do you have to clean the grout once restored?
Experts agree, you should clean your floor once a week using a pH-neutral/soap-less cleaner like Sir Grout Seattle Maintenance Cleaner. When cleaning the floor, it's important to change your mop water when it appears dirty. Always use a mop to agitate the cleaning agent on the grout surface. Dry grout with towel or terry cloth. Should any area have dried up surface stains, simply spot clean with straight Sir Grout Maintenance Cleaner.
- How often do you have to reseal the grout after the first application?
Depending on conditions, with proper maintenance, a floor can last for years.
- How much does it cost to have my grout cleaned and ColorSealed?
Pricing is a function of total square feet, size, and type of tile. We'll come to visit and give you a free written estimate.
- Why did my kitchen grout become so soiled in the first place... it's only a few years old?
Rarely do tile installers seal grout. New grout needs to cure for several days before it can be sealed. Meantime, dirty mop water finds its way into the grout pores.
For more information, pictures and videos about our Residential Services
, please click on the links below:
In addition to our residential services, Sir Grout Seattle also provides Commercial Services
Call Sir Grout Seattle at (206) 833-4949
or fill out the "Request a Quote" form at the bottom of this page to enjoy a free evaluation and quote for any of our services in your home or office.